Turkey Curry in a Hurry

This is from The Best Make-Ahead Recipe by the Cook's Illustrated folks.

I actually did roast a turkey and make this from the leftovers, along with some Turkey Tetrazzini, and many delicious turkey sandwiches. As well, before popping the bird in the oven, I cut off the wings and simmered them in some water with the neck, thereby also getting about 4 cups of turkey stock out of the deal. We tend to forget that not only does the price-per-pound go down on a whole turkey (or chicken) but there are many benefits to having the various bits to use in other ways.

At any rate, I didn't do a lot of what they wanted. For example, I didn't roast potatoes and carrots with my turkey, some of which to use in this curry. We wanted mashed potatoes and I'm not a cooked carrot fan. So that was out.

I didn't have any raisins. It was still delicious.

I forgot to buy cilantro. It was still delicious.

Anyway, you get the idea. This is a good base curry recipe for all sorts of variations. They caution you not to substitute low-fat or non-fat yogurt and I would agree that would make a big difference. I used Fage, that wonderful Greek yogurt. I treat myself to one container a week ... unless more is needed for something like this curry.

So enough nattering ... on with the recipe!

Step 1:
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, sliced thin (I also chopped it up a bit)
1/4 cup raisins (didn't have them)
2 tablespoons curry powder
Salt
4 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until just shimmering. Add the onion, raisins, curry powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until the onion is softened, 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Step 2:
2 cups roasted vegetables (didn't have them)
1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup water
10 ounces cooked turkey, shredded (about 2 cups)
1 cup frozen peas

Stir in the roasted vegetables, chickpeas, and water and cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the turkey and peas and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.

Step 3:
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves

Off the heat, stir in the yogurt and cilantro. Season with salt to taste and serve immediately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amaretti

Spicy Tuna Fish Cakes

Curried Cream of Chicken Soup