So Close But Yet So Far

I probably haven't picked up a copy of Gourmet for at least a couple of years but I couldn't resist the other day when I saw their theme was music and food. There was some truly fabulous food writing by John T. Edge, Anthony Bourdain, Jane and Michael Stern, and the late Michael Roberts. Too bad the recipes weren't as stellar as the writing. For example, a description of a local Southern legendary pie maker mentioned her rolling out pie crust that had lard in it. The "adapted" recipe featured 2 tablespoons of shortening instead, "preferably nonhydrogenated." Give me a break. Either give me the real unadulterated recipe or just give up. If Gourmet is afraid of a little lard they aren't a food magazine worth the name (and I think we all know that isn't really off the mark).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amaretti

Spicy Tuna Fish Cakes

Curried Cream of Chicken Soup