Something Old: Kansas City Steak and Vegetable Soup

I have been trying to get a chance for several days to put this recipe out there for y'all. Especially for those who have not been having this terrible, terrible 80+ degree weather.

My husband is not a soup fan (except for Chicken Tortilla Soup, which is a whole other ball game). Naturally, that means I love all soup with a passion. When I say that I'm making soup, even this soup which is a proven family favorite, for dinner his response is tepidly polite.

And then he tastes it and tastes it again. And says, "This is really good!' (This has happened more than once.)

It is from The Soup Mix Gourmet (which puts it in the category of being cringe-making a la hiding the Velveeta in my shopping cart so no one else sees it and judges it the way that I would judge them). But it is soooo good, do give it a try.


2 tablespoons olive oil
1-1/2 pounds boneless sirloin, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I use chuck, which cooks more gracefully for a long time.)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic mashed (I put them through a garlic press)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 envelope Knorr Tomato Beef Soup Mix (I suspect that this is not being made anymore which is a shame because it is wonderful ... I use Knorr Tomato Basil instead)
1 envelope Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix
6 cups water (the recipe calls for 4 cups of water but that is really, really thick and not very souplike)
1 cup peeled potatoes cut into 1/2-inch dice
1-1/2 cups corn kernels, either cut fresh from the cob or frozen (and defrosted)
2 cups green beans cut into 1-inch pieces (I can get frozen haricot verts for a good price and so just break those into small pieces instead. I leave them frozen before adding them.)

Heat the oil in a 5-quart stockpot over medium-high heat. Dry the beef with paper towels and sprinkle it with the salt and pepper. Brown the beef in batches in the hot oil, turning it frequently.

When all of the beef is browned, return it to the stock-pot, add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes.

Add the soup mixes, water, and potatoes and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the beef is tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. (I add the potatoes after half an hour of cooking, otherwise they tend to lose their shape and identity by the time the soup is done.)

Add the corn and green beans and cook the soup until the beans are tender, another 6 minutes. Correct the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amaretti

Spicy Tuna Fish Cakes

A Taste of Heaven for Body and Soul