Kiss Mah Grits!

Continuing the breakfast revolution in our house, I tried the slow cooked grits recipe from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook.

Oh, I had forgotten just how much I like grits. Especially with a bit in the bowl, some cheese sprinkled on top, and then some more grits ladled on top of that. Mmmmm...

The recipe below calls for sweetening them after cooking which doesn't appeal to anyone in our household, (neither did the milk or fruit) but I include it in case you are less of a purist. I also like the grits a bit thicker than when they have just been cooked so unplugged the cooker when I got up and half an hour later they were perfect.

I doubled this recipe in the small slow cooker and it fed four quite nicely. Since I cooked these overnight they never got stirred until they were done and they were fine.

Sweet Breakfast Grits
Serves: 2
Cooker: Small round
Setting and Cook Time: LOW for 7 to 9 hours

1/2 cup corn grits, stone-ground if possible
2 cups cups water
Pinch of salt
3 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
Sliced fruit or berries for serving

Combine grits, water, and salt in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, or overnight.

Stir the grits a few times during cooking with a whisk and stir in the honey just before serving. Stir well and scoop into bowls with an oversized spoon. Serve with milk and sliced fruit or berries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amaretti

Spicy Tuna Fish Cakes

A Taste of Heaven for Body and Soul