Caramelized Onions and Carrots

I was extremely dubious of this recipe from Cooking for the Week : Leisurely Weekend Cooking for Easy Weekday Meals. None of us are fond of cooked carrots and I like my onions well browned (and I couldn't tell if this recipe was going to give me those results ... it didn't). However, I tried it anyway and we all really liked it. It seems like a lot of sugar but the quantity is such that there is just a delicate sweetness and, as Rose said, a really wonderful aftertaste. Do give it a try.

1-1/2 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
12 medium carrots (about 1-1/2 pounds) peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
3 large yellow onions (about 2-1/2 pounds), cut into thin wedges
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley (I didn't have any)

In a large saute pan or skilled, melt the butter with the oive oil over high heat. Swirl to coat the pan, add the carrots and onions, and saute, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium, cover the pan, and cook for 10 minutes.

Uncover the pan, increase heat to high, and add the sugar, salt and pepper.

Saute until the vegetables are lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add parsley, and stir to combine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amaretti

Spicy Tuna Fish Cakes

Curried Cream of Chicken Soup