New Orleans Barbecued Shrimp

I suddenly realized how long it's been since I posted a recipe. Well, there's a good reason for that. I haven't been cooking anything new much. In fact, I haven't even been looking through my listed recipes for old favorites. Too many things like blogging, podcasting and such have pushed aside the time that I used to devote to recipes and menus.

However, as with many other things I am making a mid-year resolution (to nicely balance out those forgotten New Year's resolutions don't cha know?) to begin rediscovering ... my kitchen!

I believe I got this from a Jane and Michael Stern cookbook. Sadly, it is so long ago that I can't be more specific than that. What I can tell you is that it is simply delicious ... as well as being simple!

Step 1:
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced onion
3 minced cloves garlic
1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 pounds large shrimp

Combine all and marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes to 1 hour. Select a skillet large enough to hold shrimp in one layer (not nonstick). Warm the skillet over high heat. When very hot, pour shrimp and marinade into skillet, watching out for splatters. Liquid should bubble and hiss.

Step 2:
1/4 cup water

Quickly rinse out bowl that held shrimp with water and pour it into skillet. Scrape shrimp and sauce up from bottom several times while liquid reduces.

Step 3:
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup butter cut into chunks (1 stick)

When sauce thickens and just begins to stick stubbornly, pour in lemon juice and add butter. Keep scraping until butter melts and both it and lemon juice are incorporated. Serve immediately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amaretti

Spicy Tuna Fish Cakes

A Taste of Heaven for Body and Soul