I See the Government is Determined to Get Me to Buy Organic

FDA Is Set To Approve Milk, Meat From Clones

Three years after the Food and Drug Administration first hinted that it might permit the sale of milk and meat from cloned animals, prompting public reactions that ranged from curiosity to disgust, the agency is poised to endorse marketing of the mass-produced animals for public consumption.

The decision, expected by the end of this year, is based largely on new data indicating that milk and meat from cloned livestock and their offspring pose no unique risks to consumers.

"Our evaluation is that the food from cloned animals is as safe as the food we eat every day," said Stephen F. Sundlof, the FDA's chief of veterinary medicine, who has overseen the long-stalled risk assessment.
How about this?

We already have a way to produce animals and milk. Don't need that cloned stuff. Now, if I lived on Mars, which admittedly has very little to offer in the way of farmland, that would be different. But this is wrong on just so many levels. Not just the ethical and moral issues they mention further on in the story but from the sheer standpoint of how to view food in general.

I already buy organic milk, thanks to the Bovine Growth Hormone.

I buy eggs from free range chickens, thanks to the fact that I don't want chickens to be stuck in teeny, tiny little boxes as nothing more than egg machines. Ditto with free range chicken purchased for the same reason.

I am now reduced to so little trust in the government's decision making abilities about our food that I am considering gardening. That is how upset I am. Gardening. Which I loathe and detest. (Yes, I know that gardening is a beautiful thing. But I still don't enjoy it.)

Now, I am going to go soothe my nerves by reading The Slow Cook who has both gardens and cooks ... and who would understand why I'm so darned upset.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amaretti

Spicy Tuna Fish Cakes

Curried Cream of Chicken Soup