Rachel's Stir-n-Drop Sugar Cookies

Rachel, another sugar cookie enthusiast (notice that I didn't say "nut" as I, myself, find sugar cookies to be the most perfect of all cookies ... I can't make that claim for Rachel), has read my sad laments in my search for the "perfect sugar cookie."

She very kindly sends a recipe which sounds somewhat similar in results to this recipe but I am quite intrigued by her description, which I have included below. For one thing they sound so simple. For another ... my mouth is watering! Thanks Rachel, I can't wait to try these!
I read in your entry entitled "Christmas Baking?" that you are looking for a sugar cookie recipe. The one I have isn't a cutout, but I think it's quite good. It's in an old recipe booklet called Baking Fun and Facts for Teens, published by Wesson Oil sometime in the early sixties, I think. The trick is that instead of cutting out the cookies, you drop them by spoonfuls on the cookie sheet. Then you oil the bottom of a drinking glass, dip it in sugar, then press the cookies. They make very nicely rounded cookies with a bit of sugary crunch on top. Oh, and they have a lovely light lemon flavor too. In case you're interested, here's the recipe:

Stir-n-Drop Cookies

2 eggs
2/3 cup Wesson oil (substitute your favorite cooking oil)
2 t. vanilla
1 t. grated lemon rind (or I use lemon extract)
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Beat eggs with fork until well blended. Stir in oil, vanilla, lemon rind or extract. Blend in sugar until mixture thickens. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together; stir into oil mixture. Drop by teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Gently press each cookie flat with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in sugar. (Moisten glass with oil, dip in sugar...continue dipping in sugar.) For extra crunchiness, pat several times. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Remove immediately from cookie sheet. 3 dozen 3-inch cookies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amaretti

Spicy Tuna Fish Cakes

Oven "Fried" Catfish